Risotto with Asparagus and Bison Bacon
This dish combines simple ingredients into a rich, harmonious whole. The bison bacon and asparagus add life to the rice in this satisfying, light recipe.
- Prep Time:
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time:
- 35 minutes
- 8 ounces bison bacon
- 1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked Arborio or long grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place asparagus in single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake, uncovered, for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Cool slightly. Cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Cook onion in hot butter for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add rice. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Carefully stir in broth and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes (do not lift lid).
- Meanwhile, cook bison bacon, 1/2 at a time, over medium heat in a large skillet for 5 to 6 minutes per batch or until crisp, turning occasionally. If necessary, drain on paper towels. Transfer to a cutting board. Cool slightly; chop into bite-size pieces.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in asparagus. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in bison bacon pieces and Parmesan cheese.