Italian Red Sauce and Meatballs
Made from our tender ground bison, these moist meatballs are flavored with ground pepper and basil - and smothered in a sweet and zesty red sauce. Simple to make and a one-of-a-kind flavor that of a local Italian eatery.
- Prep Time:
- 25 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 1.75 Hours
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (28oz.) canned diced tomatoes and juice
- 1 (6oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (15oz.) canned tomato puree
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. ground bison
- 1 cup bread crumbs, plain
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground basil
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
For Italian Red Sauce:
- Sauté garlic and onions in olive oil in a 4-5 quart heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium heat. Stir often, and cook until translucent and soft.
- Add all tomato products, including juice. Lower heat to simmer.
- Add salt, sugar, oregano, and pepper, and stir often over low heat. Cook about 1-1½ hours to help sauce develop flavor.
For Bison Meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, add ground bison, onion, bread crumbs, pepper, salt, basil, and Worcestershire sauce, and mix well with your hands. Form into walnut sized balls, and place on an oiled cookie tray, careful not to overcrowd and let the meatballs touch.
- Bake in oven 15 minutes, or until done. Serve with your favorite prepared pasta.
- Makes about 32 meatballs.