Bison Sliced Beer and Cheddar Bratwurst with Pasta Shells, Mushrooms and Cheese Sauce
Pasta shells in a beer and cheddar sauce with beer and cheddar sausage….you gotta be kiddin me! This is just one mouthful after another of cheesy, beery goodness.
- Prep Time:
- 15 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 25 Minutes
- 3 bison beer and cheddar bratwurst, sliced ¼” thick
- 1 (16oz.) package dried pasta shells
- 1 (10oz.) button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp. butter
- ½ onion, finely minced
- 4 tbsp. flour
- Pinch of dry mustard
- ⅔ cup milk
- 3 oz. beer
- 4 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups of water
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add bratwurst, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until sausages have reached an internal temperature of 160°, or 5-7 minutes. Remove bratwurst from water and keep warm. Reserve water.
- Cook pasta in reserved water over high heat, stirring often. Cook pasta until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in sliced mushrooms at the last minute, and then drain immediately, but do not rinse.
For Cheese Sauce:
- In a heavy 4 quart saucepan, add butter, onion, and sauté over medium-high heat until onion begins to caramelize, stirring constantly, about 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and sprinkle flour and dry mustard over onions. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add milk and beer all at once, whisking quickly to prevent clumps. Simmer, whisking occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese all at once, and stir constantly until cheese is melted, about 3-4 minutes. (do not boil).
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add cheese sauce to bratwurst mixture and enjoy.