Bison Sausage Ragu
An easy way to impart authentic flavors into a ragù is to use bison breakfast sausage. Blended with its original seasonings, bison becomes a flavorful component of an already flavorfully rich Italian pasta sauce.
- Prep Time:
- 20 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 120 minutes
- 1 lb. bison breakfast sausage
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 6 tbsp. Italian parsley, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, puréed with their juices
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 lb. cooked pasta, for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium sauté pan, brown the ground bison over medium-high heat, stirring often, until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove the bison from the pan; set aside in a bowl. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of excess drippings from pan, and add the olive oil, onion, carrot, and parsley, and cook until the onions are golden brown, about 8 more minutes. Return the browned bison to pan, add the minced garlic, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the cloves, tomato paste, and half of the red wine. Simmer until the wine has evaporated, about 8-10 minutes. Add the remaining wine and tomatoes. Simmer the sauce on low, stirring frequently, until it has a medium-thick consistency, about 1 ½ hours. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve topped with cooked pasta, and garnished with grated cheese.